The YAC Grant Process:
Every year, the Barry Community Foundation Youth Advisory Council (YAC) grants thousands of dollars to local non-profit organizations that benefit youth.
There are several granting requirements:
- The organization applying for a grant MUST be a 501 c 3 (non-profit) organization.
- The organization must deal with youth issues and benefit Barry County youth
- The grant application MUST be written by a youth member of the organization.
Any organizations interested in applying for a YAC may find the application online or request from YAC Advisor Jillian Foster (email@example.com). A youth representative from the organization must fill out the form; describing the organization, how many members it has, what the grant money will be used for, how the organization plans on spending it, and a budget. Additional paperwork, including proof that the organization is non-profit, must also be included.
Deadline for YAC Grants:
October 15 to be paid in December.
March 15 to be paid in May.
YAC Mini-Grants are accepted September-May.
Copies of the grant application are sent to each YAC’er up to one month in advance. They use this time to look over the grant(s). In the next meeting, they discuss the strengths/weaknesses of each grant and then vote on whether to fund the grant and to what amount. Organizations that receive funding are notified by letter, and then a photo-op with a check presentation is arranged.
YAC usually gives grants to organizations that:
- Do other fund-raising activities in addition to applying for a YAC grant.
- Will use the grant money in a way that will positively impact many youths
YAC usually rejects grants that:
- Will only benefit a small, specific youth population
- Do not include other fundraising efforts
- Have asked for YAC funds for the same activity before (most YAC grants are given on a one-time basis)
- Are not youth-specific
- Have parts of the application missing
If an organization receives a YAC grant, they must also complete an evaluation, describing the outcome of the program or activity that the grant money was used for. This grant evaluation must be filled out and returned after the organization has received the grant (one-year maximum allowed). The evaluation should also include pictures or press related to the grant.